A warm mist humidifier is a type of humidifier that brings water to a boil and releases steam into the room where it is kept. Unlike a vaporizer, this kind of humidifiers produces steam that is more like a mild spray of warm water and is not concentrated close to the humidifier but is spread evenly all throughout the room. Such a warm mist is much easier to breathe in a room which is moderately cool—if the room is too warm it might become quite stuffy. In most cases, this type of humidifiers is used for steam inhalations and that is why many models come with a separate medicine compartment, or a medicine cup.
Features of warm mist humidifiers
- This type of humidifiers raises the temperature and humidity level of the air in the room.
- They come with absorption pads for capturing and accumulating minerals present in the mist.
- Warm mist humidifiers work quietly and make much less noise than the other types.
- Such humidifiers are small units, compact and portable, which allows to place them anywhere in the house or the office.
- This is the best type of humidifiers for people dealing with the symptoms of cold, flu, asthma, and allergies.
Kinds of warm mist humidifiers
- Evaporative humidifiers – The moisture is released into the room with the help of a fan. It is a very hygienic option as it does not cause dust to be released into the air. Besides, such humidifiers are energy-efficient and help to save some money on the bills.
- Ultrasonic humidifiers – They are comparatively cheaper and at the same time they are also very energy-efficient. Such humidifiers come with oscillating plates and storage space to hold the water. These plates vibrate, which turns the water into the mist that is spread in the room with the help of a fan. However, some ultrasonic models are known for producing a by-product—white dust—which may be a problem for people dealing with breathing problems.
- Steam-based humidifiers – With this type of humidifier there is an option to regulate the steam flow based on the condition of the room. They are known for killing off harmful germs as they produce sterile moisture. They are recommended to people dealing with respiratory problems and are a great choice for nurseries.
Advantages of warm mist humidifiers
- They are perfect for bedroom and office because they produce almost no noise.
- They can warm up a cold room a bit, which makes them perfect for winter months, providing you with extra warmth and coziness.
- Portable size makes carrying and traveling with a humidifier an easy task.
- Warm mist humidifiers can be used for medical purposes or even for aromatherapy.
Disadvantages of warm mist humidifiers
- This type of humidifiers needs regular maintenance in order to work perfectly.
- It is a bit risky to use this type of humidifier as boiling water or a heating pad can burn you if you accidentally come in contact with it.
All in all, such little disadvantages can be avoided easily and will not stand in the way to provide you with a perfect level of humidity.
Top 5 Best Warm Mist Humidifiers
This model is definitely a great warm mist humidifier thanks to many advantageous features. It will work for 24 hours per filling which is quite impressive. Besides, it also comes with an auto safety shut off system which activates when the tank gets empty. This saves energy and protects the humidifier from overheating that may cause accidents.
- The refilling procedure is quite easy. Moreover, there is a special light which will show you that the humidifier needs to be refilled;
- The product is ideal for medium-sized rooms;
- It comes with a medicine cup and a 3-year warranty;
- The model is filter-free, so you will not need to send extra money each year;
- There is a variation of the humidifier equipped with some additional features.
- The humidifier is not entirely noiseless;
- The second variation of the product is rather expensive.
If you are looking for a humidifier that can work effectively in large rooms then this one will be the right choice for you. You do not need to refill it for 24 hours, which is another stunning advantage. It comes with a medicine cup, adjustable settings to control mist output and an auto shut-off option. Unlike the other humidifiers, this one is dishwasher-safe, making cleaning quick and easy.
- Like the previous model, it is accompanied with a medicine cup;
- Top Fill Design makes filling as easy as watering a plant.
- Needs to be turned off for 15 minutes before refilling;
- You should clean it every week with vinegar to avoid smelly water.
Vicks warm mist humidifier is perfect for the bedroom as it comes with a soft glowing nightlight, and it also happens to work very quietly. Some advantageous features of this one are a medicine cup for producing medicated mist, two types of comfort setting, and an automatic shut-off option. According to the manufacturer, it boils water to a pure steam vapor which will be around 96% bacteria free.
- The product has 1-gallon capacity and can run up to 12 hours;
- This humidifier emits warm mist increasing room temperature;
- The price is really low! The cheapest model in our lit yet still effective!
- This humidifier is not entirely noiseless.
- Using it can bу quite uncomfortable during the warm time of the year due to its ability to increase the temperature of the room slightly.
If you enjoy using Vicks VapoSteam or Vapopads when you are sick, then you will love this humidifier as well. It contains scent pad slot which allows to use it with these products. The humidifier comes with two different comfort setting, which is quite convenient. It should be mentioned that even though it holds only 1 gallon of water, you will not need to refill it for 24 hours.
- The cleaning of the humidifier is pretty simple.
- It is easy to refill.
- The unit is quite heavy (around 4.8 pounds), compared to other types of humidifiers. So, it is not ideal for traveling, which can be a problem for some people.
- It is rather noisy.
- Unfortunately, some customers state that it can leak.
HWM6008-NUM model is considered to be a great warm mist humidifier, but only for a small room. So, it will not work effectively in a living room and other big rooms, still being perfect for offices or nurseries. It comes with two speed settings that allow you to adjust the moisture level according to your preferences. The humidifier can hold around 2.3 gallons of water and you will need to refill it only once in 24 hours.
- The heating element in this humidifier is positioned on its upper part. That is why it gets really hot and if you touch the humidifier you can burn yourself.
- Works best only for small rooms.
Now after you became aware of some of the best warm mist humidifiers, you can easily select the one you like the most to enjoy the benefits it will bring to your house.